Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Sunday 22 February 2015

Ski road trip....

Yay - just back from a brilliant ski road trip. Tied to school half term (not ideal!), I ended up getting a flight to Paris where I got picked up late on Saturday night at a very cold and austere Charles de Gaulle Airport. Fun times as its been ages since I've caught up with Dave, and a midnight stop over at a random french 'aire' (services) with beer and sushi at 1-2am (I forget) in the camper van was cool. 

My rough winter plan (at the moment) is to get better at skiing, so that I can ski tour and basically explore the mountains in winter. Why I left it this late to learn to ski I don't know!??

Beautiful evening light on the drive back to Kev and Sue's house
Last winter I took the plunge and basically spent a week skiing on piste and got comfortable on blue runs with the occasional red thrown in, but not very in control! 

Dave and fatty (its a spare jacket - honest)
So first stop on the road trip was a few days skiing in the Auvergne and meeting up with Kev and Sue. To start with we camped at Super Besse, and the next day hit the slopes. Surprisingly I felt reasonably good, loads better and more confident than last year. We had a great 3-4 days skiing at Super Besse, Le Lioran (beautiful but compact resort), and Mont Dore, and were well looked after in the evenings by Kev, Sue (the only vegetarians I know who eat pork) and the cats  at the Chateau. 

Dave heading into the clouds
After a great few days we headed East towards the Alps and I was secretly pleased with my skiing progress, as I now felt happy and in control on red runs, and had started to try black runs. I know there's a long way to go, but all good so far.....


No comments:

Post a Comment