Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Tuesday 15 March 2016

2 day avalanche course..... or getting nar nar in the pow pow!

Wow... interesting weekend in the Cairngorms on an excellent and intensive course with the Avalanche Geeks. It was basically a 2 day ski Avalanche Fundamental certified course (AAA level 1).

The Cairngorms
As I get more into skiing I realise I want to learn as much as I can to stay safe when backcountry skiing. Originally me and Rachael had booked on a 1 day course but due to crazy weather last month Mike let us change to this 2 day course and I'm really glad I did.

Pit time with team Haglofs

Now what do I do Jen..!
We were lucky with good weather, but a thawing snow pack. The combination of classroom theory and afternoon ski tours to put the knowledge into practise and ski some sweet lines was an excellent mix.

Rachael skinning

Jen looking smooth teleing in the soft snow
I'd learn plenty of avalanche and snow pack stuff before and vaguely remember a skimming of the topic when I did my winter ML training years ago, but quickly realised that my knowledge was very limited, and out of date and this American syllabus takes it seriously and is very thorough. Of course having attended this doesn't mean that I won't get caught out, but I feel I have loads of new knowledge and tools to help assess the risks and possible dangers when out there in the white room (oh yeah!!).

Sorry me!


I have to also mention that the timed mock avalanche scenario was pretty crazy (in a good way), it was stressful, and yet felt realistic, and was hard work to get through, but made me realise what I may be faced with if I ever have to use these skills for real (which clearly I hope not). A very valuable thing to practise.

Rescue scenario's. Me and Becca looking on while team 2 look for bodies
The 'kids' on the course (team Haglofs) were super fun too, and we met some cool new people and had a real laugh, which helps make it special, and even my ropey skiing managed to pass (literally all of the others were advanced skiers!).

team 2 working hard
I actually think every back country skier/boarder should attend this course it was that good - essential. Thanks Mike and avalanche geeks, I'm now ready to get nar nar in the pow pow.


Team Haglofs....


No comments:

Post a Comment