Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Everyone should own a pair of orange jeans...

On Monday I had to venture away from the safety of the NW to attend a work conference in Birmingham. Often at weekends, or holidays I'd be heading into the mountains early to catch the first light or first snows (the dawn parole), but this trip reminded me that I never venture out this early (6am!) into urban spaces.

Walking through the 'closed' dark and damp city before the open sign had been turned was actually a treat, an insight into the life of the very early risers. The only brief company being a loan jogger, and the constant jangle of milk bottles as I followed a milk round but never quite saw the float.

At the station the world was alive (awake!) with the early train to London expected soon. As I queued for a caffeine kick from the platform Costa I'm surprised and heartened when the staff greet all other customers by name and the regulars get their drinks pre-made and placed at the end of the soulless black formica bar. Loose associations are made with this daily ritual and I'm left wondering how much information is gathered and shared over the years..... How deep does the bond stretch.....The human species do have some admirable qualities after all.....

The conference was good, and Birmingham was busy and vibrant as I'd expected. I even got drawn into the Apple store and had to fight my conscience to get out without succumbing to the future. An interesting day all told... The perfect way to end this trip was to indulge in sushi and a 'can' of wine on the homeward bound train......



No comments:

Post a Comment