Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Saturday 10 May 2014

A few river crossings on the way up Gleann Einich....

Gleann Einich cuts a deep north-south trench into the Caingorms and ends at the beautiful and remote Loch Einich. I've wanted to do this ride for a couple of years and hoped it wasn't going to disappoint. 

I'm not normally a big fan of rides that go out and back the same way, but sometimes in the mountains it makes sense and means a more enjoyable and rideable day as opposed to carrying your bike just to make it into a loop.

Leaving the forest behind

Cold feet after this point!

The route gradually climbs over 15km from Aviemore, firstly through the Rothimurchus Forests before heading above the tree line and into the wilder country up to the Loch. The guide book/locals all warn about making sure you don't go after lots of rain as there are a few fords and one is impassable in spate. Clearly this added to the excitement of the day! 

Abi being more careful trying to keep feet dry - but failing


It is a stunning ride, as you gently climb and get more into the wild with every kilometre. And yes the fords did add entertainment. It feels very wild and remote at the Loch surrounded by the nearby mountains. We stayed as long as we could before the cold made us turn around and head back. On the way back the trails a blast being mostly downhill, but I did find myself stopping to look back lots - a special ride for me.

Sorry I just love my bike - oh and great views

Stunning at the Loch
So we got back to the car after the 30km ride and the sun came out. Someone (Abi) suggested that as it was our last day riding up here why didn't we do an additional 20km 'quick' blast of the Lairgh Ghru circuit!!

Splish.....

Splash.....

Well we did, and it was worth it, but I was pretty tired after 50km on the bike. A great end to the trip.

Note - Back home 2 days later I thought I'll just check whether there's any water in my wheels after all of the river crossings - I took the tyre off and about half a cup full poured out. This ride just keeps giving I definitely recommend it......

No comments:

Post a Comment